This delicious and satisfying breakfast tastes more like a treat than a joint-friendly healthy meal. Rich dark chocolate adds decadent depth… cherries bring in bright, fresh flavor… and slivered almonds pack a healthy crunch.
2 cups almond milk or water
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1 cup quick-cooking steel cut oats
½ cup fresh or frozen*, pitted sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp maple syrup
¼ cup slivered almonds
1. Put the almond milk (or water), cinnamon, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add the oats, and lower the heat to a simmer, cooking for five minutes.
3. Stir in the cherries, cocoa powder, and maple syrup and heat through (for another minute or two).
4. Check the oatmeal for consistency – it should be creamy, but not runny. If needed, you can add in more liquid one tablespoon at a time. When it’s the right consistency for you, turn off the heat.
5. Top with the slivered almonds, and dig in.
TIP: If you’re using frozen cherries, let them sit out to slightly defrost before adding them into the oatmeal.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
We all want strong, sturdy bones throughout our lives, but many of us are not eating enough of the right foods for optimal bone health. Here are a few of the most beneficial bone-enhancing food choices to add to your meal plan this spring if you’re not already eating healthy servings of each.
Join our mailing list to receive 10% off your first purchase!