This delicious and satisfying breakfast tastes more like a treat than a joint-friendly healthy meal. Rich dark chocolate adds decadent depth… cherries bring in bright, fresh flavor… and slivered almonds pack a healthy crunch.
2 cups almond milk or water
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1 cup quick-cooking steel cut oats
½ cup fresh or frozen*, pitted sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp maple syrup
¼ cup slivered almonds
1. Put the almond milk (or water), cinnamon, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add the oats, and lower the heat to a simmer, cooking for five minutes.
3. Stir in the cherries, cocoa powder, and maple syrup and heat through (for another minute or two).
4. Check the oatmeal for consistency – it should be creamy, but not runny. If needed, you can add in more liquid one tablespoon at a time. When it’s the right consistency for you, turn off the heat.
5. Top with the slivered almonds, and dig in.
TIP: If you’re using frozen cherries, let them sit out to slightly defrost before adding them into the oatmeal.
Comments will be approved before showing up.