This delicious and satisfying breakfast tastes more like a treat than a joint-friendly healthy meal. Rich dark chocolate adds decadent depth… cherries bring in bright, fresh flavor… and slivered almonds pack a healthy crunch.
2 cups almond milk or water
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1 cup quick-cooking steel cut oats
½ cup fresh or frozen*, pitted sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp maple syrup
¼ cup slivered almonds
1. Put the almond milk (or water), cinnamon, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add the oats, and lower the heat to a simmer, cooking for five minutes.
3. Stir in the cherries, cocoa powder, and maple syrup and heat through (for another minute or two).
4. Check the oatmeal for consistency – it should be creamy, but not runny. If needed, you can add in more liquid one tablespoon at a time. When it’s the right consistency for you, turn off the heat.
5. Top with the slivered almonds, and dig in.
TIP: If you’re using frozen cherries, let them sit out to slightly defrost before adding them into the oatmeal.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
The current health crisis has caused a large number of individuals in the workforce to start working from home. For some people, this shift may have led to significant changes in physical activity. More specifically, being at home can make it very tempting to sit for long periods of time during the day.
Fortunately, there are several easy ways to remain active while at home:
Join our mailing list to receive 10% off your first purchase!