Salmon is an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin D – both nutrients that are important in maintaining healthy joints and bones. Incorporating more Omega 3 fats into our diet, from fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, or mackerel), walnuts and flax seeds, can have important health benefits and help to counter inflammation. General nutrition guidelines recommend at least two servings of fatty fish a week, but if you are battling any type of inflammatory condition, getting three or more servings a week may be a better target. Opt for wild versus farmed salmon for a leaner fish and a higher dose of Omega 3s. Aside from the health benefits though, salmon is an easy fish to prepare, and can turn an everyday meal into an elegant dining experience. This dish not only takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, but also tastes delicious, looks impressive, and adds a healthy dose of Omega 3s to your menu for the week!Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: ~ 12 minutes
Ingredients:Two 5 – 6 oz. wild salmon fillets
1 – 2 teaspoons olive oil
Marinade/Sauce Ingredients:1 teaspoon (or ½ inch) minced ginger
1 medium clove of garlic, peeled and minced (or use a garlic press)
2 teaspoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of orange marmalade
1 tablespoon of low sodium teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons of water
Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the salmon fillets in a shallow baking dish and pour the marinade over each.
- Allow to sit in the marinade (refrigerate!) for at least 10 minutes. Ideally, marinate the salmon fillets overnight if time.
- Preheat your oven to 350F while the fillets are marinating
- Line a grill pan or baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush lightly with the olive oil.
- Remove the salmon fillets from the baking dish and place them skin side down on the grill pan or baking sheet. Pour any marinade left in the baking dish over each fillet.
- Place the fillets in the oven and cook at 350F for approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove the fillets and allow to sit for 1 – 2 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with Garlic Greens and Goodness and a side of roasted sweet potatoes for a complete, delicious and highly nutritious meal!